Friday, May 4, 2012

Nit-picking

The best thing about having home recording equipment is that, instead of paying a professional studio $50 an hour, you can record without sweating the budget clock. It's also the WORST part. With unlimited access, you can find yourself in the horrific position of re-doing parts and tweaking until you're pulling your eyebrows out.

In a previous post, I mentioned that I have a song that's coming out on a charity compilation CD, to benefit our local school system's music programs. I'm very happy about being a part of this, as it's very likely that more instruments will find their way into the hands of kids who are desperately in need of a creative outlet, because of extra funds raised by the CD. I remember when I got my first guitar, and the hours I'd spend trying to learn songs off of records. This was a great escape from the drama of the high school years. It annoyed the hell out of my family, who'd bang on my bedroom door and say, "How many times do you have to play that same song?"

At any rate, I turned in my song to the producers of the CD, though I wasn't 100% sure I was happy with it. I had previously recorded it in a higher key, but felt like my voice was straining a bit, so I lowered it a full step, from E Major to D Major. Now, after officially submitting it, and being beyond the point of no return, I took another listen to the original version in E. Turns out I was wrong, it sounded just fine. In fact, it sounded better than what I turned in. I second-guessed myself right into putting my club foot forward. What an idiot I am sometimes.

The good news, though, is that I haven't sent this inferior version, along with a Marshall Crenshaw cover, to be manufactured as a single yet. It'll be easy enough to swap in the better recording, making for a much-more impressive teaser to my forth-coming album, "Wake Up To Music." I've got the instrumental tracks for another ten songs done, I just have to find the time to get my singing voice in tip-top studio shape.

No comments: